- 2 3/4 to 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup warm water (120°-130°)
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- selected toppings
- 1 recipe Pizza Sauce (see below or one 15-oz can pizza sauce)
- 2-3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8-12 oz)
- For crust, in a large mixing bowl combine 1 1/4 cups flour, yeast, and salt. Add water and oil. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 7 1/2 oz can undrained tomatoes, cut up
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 tbsp. dried basil, crushed
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 10 minutes or until the onion is tender.
Thin Crust Pizza
Make Pizza Sauce. Grease two 12" pizza pans or baking sheets. If desired, sprinkle with cornmeal. On a lightly floured surface, roll each dough portion into a 13" circle. Transfer to pans. Build up edges slightly. Do not let rise. Bake in a 425° oven about 12 minutes or until brown. Spread Pizza Sauce onto hot crust. Top with meat, vegetables, and cheese. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until bubbly.
Makes 6 servings.